Friday, March 4, 2011

Your Works are Wonderful - I know that full well

I was reading a fiction novel yesterday by an author of forensic science mysteries and who is a forensic scientist herself.  She began a new chapter discussing the color of blood and its significance.  Definitely not a "spiritual author" yet her comments and thoughts on why blood is red caused me to rejoice in so great a Savior we serve. 

Her thought was a simple concept really, yet not one I had ever pondered and I was awestruck at the profoundness of it.  Her thought was that blood is the color red because red yells, "danger," "warning," "hey, look here!"  If our blood was white and we bled we may not even notice it or be alarmed by it.  Losing blood is a serious thing and there are many references in scripture to the "life of the creature [being] in the blood." 

This topic reminded me of a book I read while preparing Biology homeschool curriculum for one of my daughters.  The book was "Fearfully and Wonderfully Made" and was co-authored by Dr. Paul Brand and Philip Yancey.  The perspectives of the two authors is what makes this book so incredible.  On the one hand you have the perspective of the doctor who has studied, researched, and analyzed the body and it's functions.  In this case, Dr. Paul Brand dedicated his life to easing the suffering of thousands.  On the other hand is the perspective of someone who has dedicated his life to studying G-d's word and it's applicability to life and reality.  Just reading the preface alone will stir your faith and take your thoughts to new heights of awareness. 

Speaking of the preface brings me back to my original thought-flow. 

Psalm 139 - The wonderful works of our Master and Creator: 
The Gift of Pain - Is it a good thing or a bad thing?  Again, perspective is everything.  Many times pain is perceived as bad because quite simply, it hurts; it's uncomfortable and sometimes debilitating.  However, for some, the presence of pain can save a life as in diabetics or lepers.  In these individuals painlessness is an enemy and the presence of pain preserves life and limb.  Dr. Brand discovered this concept and used his discoveries "to prevent tens of thousands of amputations." 

Isaiah 55:9  For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.


My thoughts are somewhat random this morning; at least they appear that way to me right now.  Perhaps when I finish "transcribing them" this morning and reread them it will sound cohesive.  I think my thoughts are random a lot of times because I read many different things and depending on what I am going through at the time the things I read may speak to me in ways I need at that moment and in my need I pull from all the sources simultaneously.  
 
So this morning my faith is strengthened from last night's discovery of the significance of the color of blood and the awareness of G-ds foresight and attention to detail.  I am also taking from my recollections of past reading of the book, "Fearfully and Wonderfully Made" and the obvious scripture reference to Psalm 139.  The reading of that Psalm this morning has encouraged me greatly.  And last but not least, I received a devotion in my email this morning reminding me that G-d CAN and DOES and WILL work a miracle for me.  NOTHING is too difficult for Him.  I do know this  - I will remember this - I will remind myself of this - I am in His presence and cannot flee from it - my substance is not hid from Thee - I am fearfully and wonderfully made and I will praise Him for it.
 
And now referring back to the devotion I alluded to let me now quote the author: 
Fully devoted followers of [Messiah need to be willing] to forsake the known for the unknown.  They choose to trust G-d and walk by faith - not by sight or human logic.  Mary Southerland
Remember that G-d's works are wonderful and He has not forgotten you.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment