Monday, April 4, 2011

The Power of a Standard

Continuing with my study in Beth Moore's book, "A Woman's Heart: G-d's Dwelling Place," I was reading Deuteronomy 4: 1-4.  Moses is reminding the children of Israel about the cost of not following G-d's commandments.  In verse 4, he says, "BUT you who held fast to the L-rd your G-d are alive today, every one of you."  This got me thinking about our descendants; our children and grandchildren.  The way we live our life and the choices we make can directly impact our children's future.  Holding fast to the L-rd without wavering is a wonderful legacy to leave our children.  When they face trials in their life they can look to our examples and draw strength for the obstacles they face.  Notice I did not say "if" they face trials....it is inevitable in everyone's life that trials will come at some point. 

Standards (or flags) have been used throughout generations for identification - to identify whether friend or foe.  The troops rallied behind the standard - it was their strength, their point of unity and the line they stood behind.

The moral standard we set can be viewed the same way.  Others, not just our own children, can look to the standard we set and be strengthened, and made wise in the same way we can read Torah examples such as Deuteronomy 4 and see what not to do.  There is a cost to keeping a standard but there is an even greater cost in not having a standard.  Many people throughout history have lost their lives in order to keep their standard of holiness and to observe G-d's commandments with all of their heart.  But their legacy they leave behind for the rest of us makes it all worth it. 

I'm keeping a standard right now that is causing a separation in my family.  It is a difficult walk I'm endeavoring to "hold fast to" but I am trusting in the testimonies of my L-rd.  I have come to accept that I may not see the reward of my obedience in my lifetime but I do know that the reward is there.  I have faith to see it and believe it.

Deuteronomy 4:6 says,
"So keep and do them [G-d's statues and judgments] for that is your wisdom and understanding in the sight of the peoples...." verse 9, "Only give heed to yourself and keep your soul diligently, so that you do not forget the things which your eyes have seen and they do not depart from your heart all the days of your life; but make them known to your sons and your grandsons."

No comments:

Post a Comment