Monday, April 25, 2011

Stuffed Portabellas and Jalapenos

For my birthday dinner yesterday I was craving barbecued chicken using Pioneer Woman's barbecue sauce and her creamed corn.  But I wanted something else, something different and something I don't make often.  As I was shopping in one of my favorite produce places I spotted beautiful jalapenos and portabella mushrooms and my idea was birthed:  Stuffed Portabellas with spinach and romano cheese and grilled stuffed jalapenos.  And I used matzoh meal instead of bread crumbs since my birthday frequently falls during Passover.

I made a mixture for the jalapenos but wound up with lots extra and decided to incorporate the mixture into my stuffing mix.  Here's what I did:

Grilled Stuffed Jalapenos
6 fresh, plump jalapeno peppers
4 oz cheddar cheese, grated
4 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
4 ounces (garlic & herb) Rondele cheese spread
1/4 cup minced onion
1/4 cup minced parsley
1/4 tsp kosher salt

Carefully slit peppers down the middle.  Using a small spoon or paring knife, scrape seeds and membranes.  It may be necessary to cut a thin rectangular piece from the length of pepper. 

Mix all together and stuff peppers full.  Grill until outside of peppers is slightly charred and filling is melted.  Serve, eat, and enjoy.

Spinach Stuffed Portabellas

2 large portabella mushrooms, gills removed
4 to 6 ounces fresh baby spinach, chopped
1/3 cup minced onion
1/3 cup minced parsley
2 TB olive oil
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
fresh cracked pepper
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup romano or parmesan cheese, grated
remaining mixture from jalapenos above (about 3/4 cup)
1/2 to 1 cup matzoh meal

Add olive oil to small cast iron skillet and heat.  Add onion and allow to saute for 2 minutes.  Add garlic and cook until softened and aromatic.  Add spinach and saute until nicely wilted.  Transfer mixture to large bowl and add remaining ingredients.  Adjust seasonings and amount of cheese to your liking.  Mixture will be somewhat stiff.  You can add a little soft cheese to loosen up a bit.  Carefully stuff mushrooms and bake at 400 for about 20 to 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment