Monday, May 16, 2011

Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad

This is my favorite salad of all.  I love the fact that this salad has bread and chicken in it - a meal couldn't be more satifying in my opinion.  It's especially delicious (in my humble opinion) if the chicken is warm from the grill and served in the salad.  The combination of warm chicken and cold salad is wonderful.

I titled the recipe "grilled" chicken but most times I either bake the chicken in the oven or pan fry it.  I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenders and season them with salt & pepper and also a salt-free garlic seasoning blend.  I spread a tiny bit of olive oil on a pan and lay my chicken breasts right on the pan.  I bake them at 450 degrees until they are no longer pink in the middle.  I like the outside to get a little brown but sometimes this doesn't happen before they are done.  You need to be careful with chicken breasts as they can dry out quickly.

This is easily prepared in advance.  I cook the chicken and allow it to cool.  I dice it up and place it in a ziploc bag.  I cut, wash and spin my lettuce/spinach leaves and place them in a large ziploc bag.  I use Guy Fieri's recipe for croutons and allow them to cool, also placing them in a ziploc bag.  And finally, I make Pioneer Woman's Caesar salad dressing and keep it in a plastic sealed container.  On Saturday I simply have to open up all those bags and containers and assemble my salad.  Sometimes I keep everything separate and let everyone make their own. 

Other things I may put in this salad are grape tomatoes, black olives, and alfalfa sprouts.  Sunflower seeds are also a nice addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment