Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Forgiving and Forgetting

Forgiveness is a powerful weapon that can heal and restore brokenness and separation.  There is a popular song with these lyrics as the chorus:

7 times 70 times
I'll do what it takes to make it right
I thought the pain was here to stay
But forgiveness made a way

In my devotions this morning I came across this verse in Isaiah 28:
Does the farmer plow continually to plant seed?  Does he continually turn and harrow the ground?  Does he not level its surface and sow dill and scatter cummin and plan wheat in rows, barley in its place and rye within its area?  vs 24-25

When we hold onto wrongs that were done to us, retelling about the offense over and over, we are the farmer that continually plows and never plants seeds of forgiveness.  If the farmer never plants he will never see a harvest. 

Joel chapter 1 talks about the devastation to the land and the all of the vegetation.  This chapter laments the various fields and grains that have been dried up, ruined, and destroyed.  In verse 11, Joel speaks to the farmers; be ashamed and wail he says to them because the harvest of the field is destroyed.  How much of that destruction stems from unforgiveness which produces bitterness, hatred, pride and loftiness?   In chapter 2 Joel begins to describe the "day of the L-rd" that is coming. 

I don't know about you but when I am out in a bad thunderstorm I am always subdued and pensive because the loudness of the thunder and the danger of the lightning reminds me how small I am compared to the G-d who created this world and controls the weather and everything in it.  This leads me to think about the coming day of the L-rd and His judgment.  He is a loving G-d and right now Yeshua is on the mercy seat, but one day soon He will come back as a Judge to judge righteousness.  I want to be clean before my L-rd as much as possible.  I don't want unforgiveness and bitterness to steal my peace and destroy my relationships.  Holding on to wrongs suffered produces nothing and erodes the soil of your heart.  Heed the warning in the following verses and begin to plant seeds of kindness in your heart so that when the day of the L-rd comes, He will find a great harvest you have contributed to.

Joel 2:12-13  Yet even now, declares the L-rd, return to me with all your heart and with fasting, weeping, and mourning; and rend your heart and not your garments.  Now return to the L-rd your G-d, for He is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger, abounding in lovingkindness and relenting of evil.

Forgiveness makes the way possible.  The L-rd's prayer has these words at their core:  Forgive others as I have forgiven....... Selah!

No comments:

Post a Comment