Thursday, October 28, 2010

Homemade French's Onions

One night I was making Tuna Casserole and realized I was out of French's French Fried Onions which we love on top of the casserole. It adds a whole other dimension of flavor that I didn't want to eliminate.  I decided to try making them myself. I really didn't think they would taste as good which is really strange for me to say because I rarely use convenience foods and prefer homemade. But believe it or not they were really delicious and so easy. Here's how I did it. I will never buy French's again - sorry.

2 or 3 thinly sliced onions
kosher salt
flour
egg

Slice the onions very, very thinly. Salt with kosher salt. Add flour to a shallow pan or bowl and sprinkle with salt. In a separate bowl, mix one egg with a little water for an egg wash and salt this also.


Dip the onion slices in the egg then flour and fry in hot oil (about 325 degrees) until lightly golden. Taste and add salt if necessary.

These are good just for snacking and to use as a topping for casseroles.


No comments:

Post a Comment