Monday, March 14, 2011

Quick and Delicious Dinner

Yesterday I wanted fish.  Crispy fish.  I've found that the frozen kosher fish I can get in our small town doesn't seem to get crispy.  But yesterday I was determined.  I had a package of tilapia in the freezer and decided to use that.  I also found some kosher panko bread crumbs in our local grocery store and have been wanting to try them.  I had yellow squash coming out of my ears so that was my next challenge.  I wanted carmelized squash.  Not watery, mushy squash with no flavor.  My dinner came out marvelous.  My technique produced wonderful results and was very satisfying.  I've posted my recipes below.  Hope you enjoy.

Carmelized Summer Squash

Place sliced squash in a large collander and set over a large bowl.  Salt liberally with kosher salt and make sure all is combined so salt is distributed.  Allow to sit at room temp for about 30 to 45 minutes.  Drain off water and place squash on thick   paper towels.  Blot as much liquid as possible from the squash without smashing it. 

Place dry squash in a large bowl and mix with about 4 TB olive oil, pepper, and garlic powder.  Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast at 450 for about 30 minutes until nicely browned.  You can turn over once if you desire.

Crispy Fried Tilapia
Cut tilapia filets in fingers by splitting lengthwise.  Season fish fingers with Ole Bay seasoning, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Prepare 3 dredging pans.  One with flour, one with beaten eggs, and one with panko bread crumbs.  Sprinkle each with same spices used on fish.

Dip fish fingers in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs.  Place on foil lined baking pan and refrigerate until ready to fry.

Add oil to pan to about 1/4 inch.  I used crisco shortening and a little olive oil.  You can fry in just olive oil if you like.  Heat oil and pan until very hot without burning oil.  Place fish in pan without crowding and fry until golden brown.  Remove to paper towels.

A good sauce for your crispy fish is made by mixing 1 cup mayo, 2 or 3 crushed garlic cloves, 2 TB fresh chopped parsley, and 2 TB lemon juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment