Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Those who follow...

I've been thinking a lot about covenant, law, rules, ordinances, and commandments.  I posted recently that I am going through something right now that is testing my faith to the limit.  I am having to search my heart and ask myself seriously if I am up to keeping G-d's laws at the exclusion of all else.  I do not try to keep the law because I believe it will save me.  I know Yeshua saved me through faith.  But what is my faith if it is not demonstrated by works?   1 John 2:3 states that we know that we have come to know Him if we keep His commandments.  1 Cor 13 states that if I have faith and no love I am nothing.  1 John 2: goes on to say in verse 5 that ifI keep G-d's word the love of G-d has been perfected.  It is clear to me that Love, Faith, and Commandments go hand-in-hand!

In Psalm 78 great emphasis and importance is given for fathers to instruct their children concerning the praises of the L-rd so that they would put their confidence in G-d and not forget His works, or His commandments.  In verse 8, the psalmist gives the reason:  so that these children would not be like their rebellious ancestors who were stubborn and rebellious.  The psalmist goes on to say that the generation before did not prepare their hearts and their spirits were not faithful to G-d.

When I think of the law and commandments I cannot help but think and meditate on the many verses in Psalm 119.  This psalm is totally devoted to what our relationship to G-d's law should be.  I've been reading it every day and there is so much in that psalm to feast on.  I love how the psalm is broken up into sections.  The Pe section really spoke to me this morning:

Your testimonies are wonderful; therefore my soul observes them.  The unfolding of Your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple.  I opened my mouth wide and panted, for I longed for Your commandments.  Turn to me and be gracious to me, after Your manner with those who love Your name.  Establish my footsteps in Your word, and do not let any inquity have dominion over me.  Redeem me from the oppression of man, that I may keep Your precepts.  Make Your face shine upon Your servant, and teach me Your statutes.  My eyes shed streams of water, because they do not keep Your law.
I encourage you to dive into this Psalm and see what G-d would speak to your heart about how to serve Him.  My prayer today comes from Psalm 119:116

Sustain me according to Your word that I may live; and do not let me be ashamed of my hope.
2 Peter 1:3 says that G-d has given us everything pertaining to life and godliness.  If we are faithful to Him, He will make a way for us where there seems to be no way.  He will make our paths straight as we follow Him with all of our heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment