Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Perspective - Another Blessing

There is a subtle line in the movie, Fiddler On The Roof that my husband loves and always comments on every time we watch the movie.  It's right after the matchmaker leaves Golde's house and the Sabbath is getting ready to start.  Tevye is introducing his children to Perchik and finds Motel is there (his daughter's beau).  When Tevye's wife, Golde realizes Motel is also staying for dinner, instead of complaining that they have another mouth to feed she says, "Another blessing!"  This is an attitude I need to adopt for many of life's situations. 

Preparing for Passover and the seders is a lot of work.  In the transcript of an interview with Levana Kirschenbaum, a New York City chef, she is asked, "What is your favorite part of Pesach?"  She answer that her favorite part is seeing people at the seder who seem to be far removed from everything yet they so enjoy the closeness and togetherness at the seder that they return again and again. 

Ms. Kirschenbaum refers to these guests as "blind dates" because they are usually sent by others who run into people who do not know how to make their own seder and want to experience one in a traditional home.  This conversation reminded me of the Fiddler on the Roof scene I mentioned above and I was nudged by the L-rd to appreciate the guests that show up for Passover and feel blessed not only by their presence but by the fact that I have a home and family that makes them feel welcome and loved. 

Psalm 112:3 says of the righteous man, "Wealth and riches are in his house and his righteousness endures forever."  When I say this blessing over my husband as we usher in the Sabbath each week I look around my table at my guests and receive the truth of this scripture.  I may not have wealth the world recognizes but I have wealth and riches that comes from blessings the L-rd sends my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment