Friday, March 16, 2012

Dressing in Character

Colossians 3:12-17 - Therefore, as the elect of G-d, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering; bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Messiah forgave you, so you also must do.
Colossians 3 goes on to say that Love is "the bond of perfection." 

I thought of this today as a non-believing acquaintance at work was sharing a family tragedy with me.  My heart went out to her.  I wanted to tell her to have faith and pray.  I wanted to tell her to stand on G-d's promises for her family but I couldn't bring myself to share that since she does not believe.  I also started to tell her I would pray for her but I knew it would sound hollow to her ears.  An empty promise to one feeling destitute and hopeless.

But I know the power of prayer and so I purpose in my heart to intercede for her and her family before my Father in Heaven. 

When I came back to my office I re-read these verses from Colossians 3 and I was encouraged to remember that I am called by G-d and have chosen to follow Him.  I have His blessed hope to stand on and I am so grateful that Yeshua did not leave us alone but He left His own Spirit to guide us.

Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel sluggish and slightly depressed because I don't want to go to work.  But then I remember all I have to be grateful for and it helps spur me on and shrug off those feelings.  The verses and topic in this post remind me that I need to not only put on my work clothes for the day I need to also put on the garments befitting an elect child of a Risen King.  The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness (Is 61:3) and also the garment of mercy (Col 3:12). 

Then I will be ready to give an answer for the hope that is within me (1 Peter 3:15) and be able to offer encouragement to someone else.

Shalom

No comments:

Post a Comment