Monday, April 19, 2010

New Grandbabies

This summer we are expecting 3 new grandbabies so I've been busy sewing for all the expectant mothers and dreaming of when I get to hold each sweet bundle.  The mothers are two of my daughters-in-law and my oldest daughter.  I wanted to make one of these adorable rag quilts for each of them but do not know the gender of their babies.  So I let them select which one of these they'd like.  All chose the teddy bear but one wants it in the colors shown, one wants shades of white for all the patches, and the other wants her nursery in Winnie the Pooh so I decided to do a selection of pooh fabrics.  There are some beautiful Pooh flannels out there now.

Well, I got about halfway done with the first one.  Took me about 4 or 5 hours to pin and cut out - some of that time was selecting fabrics as there are about 12 different fabrics used.  I always cut one day and sew the next; rarely do I do both in the same day or I get too discouraged.  The sewing is very easy and fast because it is a rag quilt but preparing the patches for stitching is a little time-consuming.  I spend a few minutes before stitching each one marking stitching and quilting lines.  I chose a 100% all natural cotton batting and it adds just enough padding and softness to the flannels.

Simplicity has two other patterns for these types of quilts that are appropriate for older girls - I am planning on doing a ladybug for one of my daughters and a butterfly for the other but I think I am going to use fleece solids for the patches.  Those should go a little faster as there are fewer patches and require no padding.

When you work full time and love to sew, you come to realize the truth in the song "Time in a Bottle" by Jim Croce.  I wish we could save "time in a bottle" - time must be the biggest commodity of all.  I have more ideas and plans than time unfortunately but I hope G-d gives me just enough 'time' to do the important ones before He calls me home.  Ecclesiastes has a lot to say about time and re-emphasizes how fleeting it is.

Moses knew the value of time after watching the multitudes of the older Israelite people dying day after day as they wandered around in the wilderness.  One of the Psalms was written by Moses and is actually a prayer - Psalm 90.  Verse 12 says, "So teach us to count our days that we may present to you a heart of wisdom."  A heart of wisdom "ponders life" whereas the contrasting "adulteress" heart does not (Proverbs 5:6).  We need to be about the business of pondering life, allowing the light of the Holy Spirit to search out our hearts daily so we will be able and ready to present a heart of wisdom whenever the L-rd calls us.  In Deuteronomy 30:19 Moses sums up his law-giving by instructing whoever would be wise enough to take heed - Choose Life so that you and your descendants may LIVE!  We can choose life by choosing a life that honors G-d - by keeping His commandments which provide a fence of protection on this path that is treacherous at times.  Praise be to the Most High for He instructs us in how to walk with Him. 

Let your tongue declare His righteousness and His praise all day long.  Psalm 35:28

No comments:

Post a Comment