Thursday, June 10, 2010

Friday night plans


Well, another Sabbath is almost upon us and I am really looking forward to some personal bible study.  I recently discovered a bereans website that has some fantastic bible studies to download.  I have been searching for quite a while for some sort of meaty bible study complete with worksheets, discussion, and outlines.  So I was so excited to find this resource.  These scripture studies are just the sort of thing I love to do on Shabbat mornings.  The study I am currently working on has to do with faith in action and explores different Hebrew words depicting faith actions. 

I'm not sure I'm going to have as much time for elaborate meal preparations tomorrow as I usually have because I am trying to finish the 2nd of those teddy bear rag quilts I am making for my expecting daughter and daughters-in-law.  I broke three sewing machine needles last week-end and have had to wait all week to have time to finish it.  The baby shower is Saturday night so I am anxious to put the last few stitches in and get it scratched off my to-do list.

So I am going back to a hearty one pot meal for this Sabbath's dinner and have decided to make a rich beef stew with potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, parsnips and turnips.  Homemade french bread will allow liberal dipping and dunking and then a quick box mix chocolate cake for dessert.  I occasionally use boxed cake mixes but always make my own frosting and will top tomorrow's cake with cream cheese buttercream frosting.  This meal sounds like it will be delicious and satisfying even though it will not be too labor intensive. 

The busyness of Sabbath preparations seems to heighten my anticipation of the Sabbath rest beginning Friday night.  I grow weary from my workload as the day draws to a close and the promised rest motivates me to keep going and finish everything needing to be cleaned, polished, boiled, or sliced.  I always manage to save about 45 minutes to shower and read the Psalms before we gather at the table to light the candles.  As the candles are lit and the blessing is sung, I feel my body relax and welcome the blessed Sabbath along with my spirit and soul.  I love the fact that the L-rd has given us 52 weekly holidays to spend with Him in addition to the feast days.  The L-rd gave us life, instructed us in how to live this life, and has given us opportunities to enjoy and rejoice in this life - not just exist.  What a great G-d we serve.  His commandments are not burdensome but are joyful and full of blessings.

I hope your Sabbath preparations go smoothly and that you allow your spirit, soul, and body to rejoice in the G-d of your salvation.

L'Chayim

No comments:

Post a Comment