Monday, November 1, 2010

Nothing But The Fats

My two youngest daughters gave me a set of 20 color coordinated fat quarters a few years ago and I finally got busy and completed this quilt top using only the fat quarters.  I really loved the colors and patterns and did not want to introduce any new fabrics to the top.  I managed to get 2 ten inch squares from each fat quarter in addition to 3 five and a half inch and one three and a half inch square from each.  I used the 5 1/2 inch squares to make 15 four patch blocks.  Together with the 40 ten inch blocks, I then had 55 ten inch blocks but I needed one more to make a top 7 blocks by 8 blocks.  Making a nine-patch with the 3 1/2 squares did not make a 10 1/2 inch block which I thought it would (but I forgot there were two seam allowances to figure in and not one like the 4-patch).  Anyway, I gathered up all my tiny little pieces and made one block called "The Frugal Patch" from Quilters Cache for the center block.  I love the results. 

Using a play on words, I named my quilt, "Nothing But The Fats" and have decided to buy enough fat quarters of a contrasting or neutral fabric for the backing to carry out the theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment