Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Love of G-d

This morning I was reflecting on what a frustrating day I had at work.  I find myself getting so exasperated with some people usually because of little things.  As is usual for me, one thought led to another and I began thinking about the verses that define LOVE - 1 Corinthians 13.  I was so convicted because I do not love like that.  It's easy to love SOME people like that but we are called to love ALL people like that.  And then I had the most amazing thought of all and I asked myself, "How and Why does G-d love us like that?"  We may think we are loveable but the down and dirty truth is that we aren't loveable all the time - I don't think anyone is.  Some people may be closer than others but go with me here.

Scripture tells us that we love because He first loved us.....but what does He loves about us?  We are rebellious and stubborn.  We have the capability of doing dastardly deeds and we fail to trust Him most of the time. 

The easiest way for me to understand this is to reflect on the love I have for my children.  No matter what they do, no matter how stinky their diaper, no matter WHAT!  I love them so much it hurts.  That must be the love my Heavenly Father has for me and ALL His children.

Is it a coincidence that my morning devotion today included this verse from Romans 8?


"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demon, neither the present nor the future, nor ANY powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us  from the love of G-d that is in Messiah Yeshua our L-rd."   Romans 8:38-39


In the devotion this morning the author went on to say that we can have head knowledge about G-d but we cannot learn to love like Him unless we KNOW Him not just know about Him.  The following verse supports this:


1 John 4:8-9  "The one who does not love does not know G-d, for G-d is love.  By this the love of G-d was manifested in us, that G-d has sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might live through Him."


I had a conversation with my daughter this past weekend and was trying to explain to her the need to trust G-d in all situations - to REALLY trust Him.  This means that we will sometimes have to walk through things that don't feel so good.  During this waiting period we will begin to feel that things are hopeless.  We may feel frustrated and we may even feel sorry for ourself because we don't have what we want and it looks like everyone else does. 

This waiting and walking period is a great time to learn about the love of G-d.  Isaiah 40 says that if and when we wait on G-d we will renew our strength and will mount up with wings as eagles.  We will be able to soar over our problems because we've learned that G-d's love is bigger than our problems and He is a G-d we can trust because He has everything under control and He has our best interests at heart. 

To borrow from my devotion this morning:  "Trusting G-d begins and ends with the fierce love of G-d.  Trusting G-d really is all about wrapping our hearts and minds and lives around the reality of G-d's love."  Girlfriends in G-d - November 30


Trust in the L-rd with all your heart and do NOT lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment