Friday, December 9, 2011

David and Yeshua

There is a show that comes on TV called Reflections.  The show is so peaceful and calm.  All it really is are gorgeous video clips of nature scenes with beautiful calming music playing in the background and scripture periodically pasted on the screen.  I love to sit and just let the Word of G-d portrayed this way minister to all my spiritual aches and pains.  It truly is like medicine for the soul.

This morning as I was meditating with help from these visions, I came across a verse from 1 Samuel that really spoke to me as if Yeshua Himself spoke it to me.  In chapter 22 David has fled to the cave of Adullam and placed his father and mother in the care of the king of Moab.  Saul slaughtered the priest of Nob because of their betrayal to him.  One of Ahimelech's sons escapes and found David.  After he relayed to David what Saul did, David said this in verse 23:  "Stay with me; do not be afraid, for he who seeks my life seeks your life, for you are safe with me." 

That verse is what Yeshua spoke to my heart this morning.  I realized that Yeshua had spoken very similar words in John 15.  In verse 18 Yeshua begins to explain the talmidim's relation to the world.  He told them that if the world hated Him (Yeshua) then it would also hate any of His students (or followers).  He also cautioned them to not be astonished at this.  But Yeshua did not leave them in a destitute state without a helper or guardian to watch over them.  It had already been established beforehand that G-d would send the Holy Spirit.  In the following verses, Yeshua did not say that the Helper would protect them from persecution but He promised them that the Holy Spirit would do several things:

  1. Convict the world concerning sin (because they do not believe)
  2. Convict the world concerning righteousness (because Yeshua goes to the Father and we no longer see Him)
  3. Convict the world because of judgment (because the ruler of this world has been judged)
  4. Guide us into all truth
  5. Take of the Father (Yeshua) and disclose it to us
The words David spoke in 1 Samuel 22:23 and the words Yeshua spoke in John 15 are so comforting and reassuring.  I believe that it was really Yeshua speaking through David in 1 Samuel and because Yeshua is of the lineage of David this is genetically true.  Our ancestors represent us just as we represent them.  That is why in Psalm 22, David could prophecy what Yeshua would endure as He hung and died for the world. 

So when I feel lonely on this Torah observant path I'm on or I feel persecuted and out-numbered by world views, I will remember David and Yeshua's words and will hide myself in the Rock of Salvation


For the grace of G-d has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great G-d and Savior Messiah Yeshua, who gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds.  Titus 2:11-14

No comments:

Post a Comment